John, a 67-year-old businessman presented to his GP with lower back pain. He informed his GP that he was generally active, walking and cycling regularly but his lower back pain has started to restrict these activities lately.
Upon questioning, John related that the lower pain has been there for the last 2 months and has gradually become more severe. On physical examination, there was acute tenderness over T12–L1. There were no other clinical signs. The GP was unsure of the origin of the lower back pain and prescribed a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication to be taken when he experienced pain. John saw his GP one week later and complained of worsening pain. The GP referred him to a rheumatologist.
The rheumatologist advised John to have magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the spine. Two weeks later MRI scan was done, and the report showed metastatic lesions in thoracic and lumbar vertebrae. John received a call from the clinic to come for an immediate consultation.
Please answer the following TWO questions:
- Explain the pathophysiology of John’s lower back pain and discuss briefly the effectiveness of NSAIDS for pain management in older people. (200 words approx.)
- Following the MRI report, and the pain being persistent, which analgesics should be prescribed to Mr John? Support your answer with evidence. (200 words approx.)
GENERAL GUIDELINES ON HOW TO WRITE YOUR ASSIGNMENT
- The maximum word limit for this assignment is 400, this does not include references.
- This assignment must be submitted via safe assign on Learnline.
- No other form of submission is acceptable including email, hand delivery or post.
- It is advised to have a foot note on your assessment containing your name, student number and unit code. No COVER SHEET REQUIRED for Safe assign submission as per CDU policy.
- Please click on assessment details where it says, “click on the above link to submit your assignment”. Please note there is NO DRAFT SUBMISDSION for this assignment. Once you upload your file and click submit, it will be submitted for grading.
- I will not be able to check and let you know if I have received your assignment or not.
- All the information about the assignment is available on Learnline; please take time to locate the necessary documents prior to sending an email to me enquiring about the assignment details.
- Proof reading or feedback of any kind of ASSIGNMENT QUESTIONS will not be provided prior to submission.
- Please contact the Learnline technical support if you have problems submitting the assignment.
- Font size 12; Font Type: preferably Calibri or Arial;
- Line space anywhere from 1.5 to 2.
Please use APA referencing style. Number of references: between 5-10.
You will have to submit an official extension request with supporting documents at least 1 week before the deadline.
ASSIGNMENT MARKS RELEASE:
It is expected to take around 2 weeks or more to get your assignment marks being released after submission.